Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Stingy Tree

A few years ago at a Christmas party I got "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein as a gift for a Secret Santa being held. Later in the night I ended up sitting with someone on the couch casually reading through this children's book. Astonishingly simple art adorns each page, all Shel's own personal drawings, topped with a simple sentence or two. A very short and well-written book about a tree that gives everything it has to a little boy throughout his life but never asks for anything back and never receives anything either. By the last page or two I can never stop myself from crying. If anyone has the opportunity they should pick this book up and share it with their loved ones. What a perfect message and what a great artist.

Then I came across this Bizarro comic in the local newspaper, and as usually I love Dan Piraro's comics and his sense of humor. Enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment